Friday, February 22, 2008

Chapter 7: I walk to the forest from the supermarket

I just finished delivering many boxes of bananas to a large supermarket half an hour outside of Boston.  There are woods next to the supermarket.  Some of the boxes were white, there was a new brand logo on them.  There were bananas on the box, of course.  There was a blue stripe.   I didn't recognize these boxes.  I take my gloves off when I am walking through the parking lot.

There is a black bird with an iradescent head and a yellow beak.  I know this bird is a european starling.  I walk to where the bird is standing in the parking lot.  It flies up and lands in a tree in the forest next to the supermarket.  

I put my gloves on the drivers seat.  I check off the location on the checklist.  I put my glasses on and walk towards the forest.  The bird is still in the tree.  I look at it's eye from where I am standing.  It flies deeper into the forest.  I climb the short chain link fence and walk into the forest.  The ground is muddy here.  I walk through the forest and find the bird in another tree. I stand at the base of the tree and look up at the bird.  I touch the tree with my hand.  The bird doesn't move.  I lean on the tree.  I grab a branch and it breaks.  I grab another and it is sturdy. 

I begin to climb up the tree.  I move up a few branches and look around.  I can see the supermarket better.  The bird flies from the tree and leaves the forest.  I continue climbing.   

I get to the branch the bird was on.  There are many body lengths between me and the ground.  I look down at the forest. There is an animals climbing up a tree near the tree I am in.  I make an animal noise at it.  It climbs down the tree and runs deeper into the forest.  I look at the supermarket through the forest.  I can see the back end of the top of supermarket.  There is a series of vents on the roof.  There is some garbage on the top of the supermarket. 

No comments: